Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bacon Caramel Deliciousness

Google is a powerful tool.  For everything.  For anything.  For the new-to-cooking with no ideas…it is the most powerful thing out there. 

Usually, I do a Google search, find something I think is interesting, and then head to the opinions of my foodie friends.  But sometimes, I go out on my own with my new-found-recipe idea and run with it.  This week was one of those times. 


Oh, glorious bacon.
I googled bacon.

Wait, I’ll back up a second.

In case you haven’t noticed, I love bacon.  I say love…but obsess is possibly a better word.  I didn’t eat bacon for years.  I went in for a physical for sports in middle school, and was immediately put on a crazy-strict cholesterol diet.  Apparently, I was moments from heart attack.  Or something.  I developed all kinds of weirdness around food, how to eat, how to read labels, and what to eat.  Or not to eat, as the case may be.  Over time, I found that it was easier to tell people I didn’t like something rather than to explain my near-coronary status.  Over time, I began to believe said status.

Bacon was at the top of that list.  I made myself believe that I really didn’t like it, because it there was no other way to stay away from it.

But the day came when I would relapse.  And relapse, I did.  I am back on the bacon.
So in this quest to cook, I tend to cook a lot of bacon.  And will not stop.
Caramel-izing
So, I googled bacon.
I found something yummy-sounding.  Bacon Caramel.  Wow.  That. Sounds. Awesome.  I love caramel.  And, as you’ve heard, I kinda like bacon…
I set out on this adventure at about 10 last night.  It had to be late, because the final step of the recipe is to let it sit for three hours before cutting.  I do not have that kind of willpower, I had to do it just before bed.
Making caramel was surprisingly easy.  It is something I never thought to make, something that is just bought.  It’s a lot of stirring and temperature-taking.  But other than that, it is pretty easy.  However, knowing how easy it is, I may make it from now on, foregoing the store bought, unless I want a Snickers bar, of course…
Almost to burnt-lip temperature...
Once the caramel is ready, stir in bacon and let sit.  That’s it!  (Oh, and go to bed.  So you don’t have to pace the hall for three hours…)
However, I learned a very important lesson while making this delight.  A 34-year old woman sometimes has the mental capacity of an eight year old.  As I was waiting for the caramel to reach its final temperature of 245F, the house was filled with the undeniable scent of both bacon and caramel.  I stared at the thermometer, wondering if the guy who coined that phrase about watching a boiling pot ever watched a thermometer in caramel.  As it hit the 245F mark, I suddenly and without thought of consequence, put the wooden spoon to my mouth. 

HOLY

SHIT
THAT’S
HOT!
So I have a welt on my lip.  It’s pretty gross.
Luckily, the bacon and the caramel were left unharmed. 
This morning, they were delicious.  And this afternoon.  And this evening…
Sweet yummy bacon caramel
Bacon Caramel
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup maple syrup

Bacon fried to a crisp. The amount is up to you. I used 8-12 strips of thick-cut bacon. I REALLY love bacon.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.
Combine all the other ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine.
Set on medium high heat. Stir occasionally and cook until 240*. The candy is now at firm-ball stage.

Remove from the stove and carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream.
Place back on the heat and continue to cook to 245*. Immediately remove from heat and stir in a portion of the crispy bacon. (Do NOT put in mouth!!!)
Pour the caramel into a buttered dish (the size depends on how thick you want your caramels. 8×8 = thick caramels 9×13 = thin caramels. You can also use a cookie sheet).
Scatter the remaining bacon on top.
Let set for at least 3 hours before cutting.


(I got this recipe from the blog Not Without Salt.)

2 comments:

  1. ouch! I've done that too. in fact, I've tried to take something out of the oven without an oven mitt on. you can bet it was some sort of delicious cake or cobbler.
    anyway, that bacon caramel looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked into a candy thermometer? It has a clip to it so you can attach it to the pot. That way you can wonder around the house smelling the air. I have also seen the digital thermometer that you can set at a desired temperature and will beep when it has reached the set temp. Or just make the clip. About the hot spoon... we all have done this at one point and will probably do it again. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...